Monday, June 14, 2010

The beginning...

One evening last fall, Vince and I were listening to Lou Engle (www.thecall.com) speak:

"From slavery to the civil rights movement, it was always the praying remnant that mobilized the future into being with intercession and activism. Today, the same God who ended these atrocities and injustices wants to use this generation to end abortion.

While reading a quote in a biography on William Wilberforce, the great parliamentary figure of the 1800s who almost single-handedly ended the slave trade in England, I was suddenly and forcibly apprehended by the presence of God. In that moment, I received an undeniable and irrevocable commission from the Lord: "Raise up a prayer movement to end abortion in America." TheCall is a part of that prayer movement.

God is looking for intercessors. That's not just a fancy word to replace "prayer." It is a high calling---some say the supreme vocation. There is a small piece of real estate that exists in between God and His rebellious creation, and it's called "the gap." You are called to stand there. You were made to stand there. God said, "I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none." (Ezekiel 22:30)

The true heir to the civil rights movement is...freedom for the unborn and the pregnant mother, and the Underground Railroad for the great injustice of abortion is adoption."

Whew. We both found ourselves weeping at his words--the authority and the anointing they carried. Almost overnight, adoption went from being a great concept to something we needed to do, wanted to do, planned to do.

And so began nearly seven months of talking, thinking, praying, and research. (I'm kind of a research freak.) Fast-forward to this past Saturday evening when I finally convinced my husband that we needed to submit our adoption application--for an international adoption from China--and get started...like, right NOW. And so we did.

And I'm really, really excited!

1 comment:

JulieM said...

I love how God stirs and turns his children's hearts toward adoption in so many different ways! What an amazing journey you are on by answering his call for your family! I am excited to follow your journey! Who knows maybe someday we will meet with our little boys from China. We aren't that far away :)!