Sunday, October 10, 2010

A special gift from my son

I went to retrieve my son from kids' church this morning and noticed he'd been given a dollar bill.  "Mom!" he said.  "We each got a dollar bill!"

I asked him what his lesson was about.  He replied, "We worship God when we give.  So I'm giving you this dollar to help pay for the adoption."

Well, what could this mama do except break down crying in the church hallway?  I knelt down to hug my sweet little man and thank him for his precious gift.  Not so much the gift of one dollar, but the gift of a glimpse into his generous heart--the heart of an almost-six year old boy who, to the extent that he can, GETS it.  Gets it that adoption is a sacrifice.  Gets it that mom and dad are spending their money to bring home a son.  Gets it that this boy will be his very own brother, and that adoption will be our family's new reality.

He also gifted me with seeing some fruit from my labor, my husband's labor, the labor of faithful men and women at church who teach my children about Jesus.  Today's lesson was walked out in a practical way, and I am filled with gratitude and JOY.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

That's awesome, J! You are blessed.