Friday, February 3, 2012

XXXL

After the windowsill-leaping escapade which left a giant rip in the hem of Hummus Girl's Chinese dress, I started to wonder:  where else could I buy more Chinese clothing that's closer than, say, Guangzhou?  I landed here, where I found some surprisingly low prices, especially for women's dresses.

I really wanted to purchase something for myself.  I bought a dress on Shamian island...think I paid around $8 for it (gasp)...but I've never liked it.  That whole shopping experience felt stressful to us--the bargaining, the pressure to find all the right souvenirs and remembrances of China, the angry, grieving baby in my arms, etc.  So I wound up with a pale lavender, satiny dress.  Terrible color on me, thigh-high slit, and quite frankly, just does not connote positive emotions for me.  Am I putting too much pressure on that poor dress?  Perhaps.  

Right now you might be thinking  Oh, get real.  You just needed an excuse to shop! 

Whatever.

So here's a fairly recent photo of me.  This will be important later in the story.



I ordered two dresses, hoping they'd fit, nervous to buy something without being able to try it on.  Had suspected maybe the dresses ran small, so I ordered two dress sizes up from what I would normally wear.



Aren't they pretty?  The red one is a fine corduroy!  How 'bout that?  And the blue one is cotton with a bit of stretch.  I like dressing up, but hate being uncomfortable.  These dresses are shorter and more practical, so I can wear them more often.

I am thrilled to report that they both fit perfectly!  Like they were made for me!  A very pleasant surprise.

Also a surprise?  This.


Can you read the tag?  XXXL.  Apparently, according to Chinese fashion standards, I wear an XXXL.  (Take a look back at the photo of me if you need to.)  I am going to try my best to find that hilariously bizarre rather than annoying, and will celebrate that I now have two new Chinese dresses that I love and will wear happily!

9 comments:

Rita and John said...

Ha! They are beautiful! We bought some XXL and XXXL clothes for friends and one was horrified that she couldn't fit into her XXL Chinese blouse. I regretted not taking the tags out before distributing our gifts, but we thought it was funny that the sizes were so different. Enjoy your dresses--and thank you so much for the link to that fantastic site! I'll have to do some shopping.

Valerie said...

Maybe the tag refers to the size of your heart... :)

Yeah, that's it!

Stephanie said...

So funny! I'm 5'10", so imagine how I looked in off-the-rack Chinese dresses. Thigh high? Try hip-high!! So we had them make me one...a decent one that covers me. Had it had a tag, I 'm sure it would have been size "giant". :P
Enjoy your new duds!

Jennifer said...

Cute! XXXL...for you...hmmm....I don't think I'd even be on their charts...;-)

Gena said...

Love the new dresses, J!

everythingismeowsome said...

XXXL??? Maybe it was girls sizes!!

Johanna said...

Lol!! It's "infant sizes"!! Love the dresses!!!

Captain Murdock {Godwilladd.com} said...

This post cracked me up! Whenever I can find some weird off-sized brand and somehow I can fit into a size 2, I always buy as many as humanly possible. Not sure my vanity could have handled an XXXL. But, obviously you are not that size, so you are rockin it, I'm sure!

nic said...

i choose to believe it's girls sizing, though even then i imagine you'd get by with a medium. :) beautiful dresses, no matter what the tags claim!