Friday, May 18, 2012

"you can't say no to babies"

That's what Dr. Husband tells me.  Often he's joking.  Sometimes not. 

This time he wasn't, and we said yes...or more accurately, "Let's see what happens."  Last night we shared the good news with our kiddos that they'd be getting a new sibling come October!  After the initial burst of excitement, questions, and incredulity (from Absent Minded Prof.), Hummus Girl asked, "So where is this one coming from?  Like, from China?"  Uh, no sweetie, this one is from my tummy, just like you.  S/he'll probably be blonde too, flying in the face of my possibly sketchy knowledge of genetics.  Shu may be my only dark-haired child.

Once you tell children of a certain age about a new baby, you pretty much have to announce it to the world, or risk the awkward announcement MY MOMMY IS PREGNANT! which actually happened this afternoon (Hummus Girl).  Fortunately I had informed my friend just hours before.  How's that for foresight? 

I had no reason to think the kids wouldn't be happy at our news, but I was surprised and overwhelmed by their unadulterated JOY...I'm teary just thinking about it now.

They don't know that five is "too many" kids.  Not that I have anything on the Duggars or NiHaoY'all or a bunch of other families I know of.  But In (my) Real Life, five is more than most people have.  

They didn't respond selfishly or with worry about sharing mom and dad, their stuff, their rooms, etc.  That may come, but it wasn't their initial response.

It doesn't occur to them that mom and dad can't handle one more child.  Why wouldn't God provide?  Why wouldn't he equip with every necessary resource?  Oh, to have such a fully trusting heart!  

These are kids who don't really grasp how difficult this past year has been...a blessing in itself, that grace has so insulated them.  They only know that they and Shu are loved, that siblings are a treasure, that having playmates is awesome, that there is more than enough of the good stuff to go around.  And they're totally right.

The Father knows how to give good gifts, even gifts we don't specifically ask for.  He knows our hearts that well.  Not only has he has given the tremendous gift of new life, he also gave to this mama's heart the gift of knowing my kids are happy and secure in our family...so why not make it bigger?  I guess our hands really weren't full yet.  You can ask me again in October. 


16 comments:

Rita and John said...

Only God would know that your hands weren't full! Who knows...maybe being a big brother will help Shu in ways we can only imagine. Congratulations! It is so sweet that your children are so excited. You will be in my prayers.

Amy said...

Wow! I'm so happy for you!! What a blessing! :) {{HUGS!!}}

Krissy said...

ahhhh, how fun for you! so will you have a fun basketball at gena's wedding???

blessings momma! blessings!

Johanna said...

"children are a blessing from the Lord!!!!" CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! Five is a really good number!;)((((hugs)))

Gena said...

So happy to hear of the kids' joyful reactions! It's so funny that the strap-on baby belly at David's Bridal meant nothing to Sabi. :0)

petiteblogger said...

Oh, it's been weeks since I've checked blogs & I'm so glad I did tonight! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys!!!

~Amber

Janet said...

LOVE that she asked where this one was coming from! :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, congrats!

Jennifer said...

YIPPEEE!!! Congratulations!!!!!!

anything but LoKEY said...

Congratulations! Babies bring such joy. What a gift from God this will be for your family. :)

Nicole Renée said...

Oh Jerusha, congratulations to you and your family! God WILL give you the strength! I just adore how accepting your kids are of this wonderful news! Blessings to you my friend, I am so happy to read this news of your family! And of course, I am excited to follow along on your continued journey!

Unknown said...

Awesome news...congrats

Michelle said...

Wow! How exciting, Jerusha! Praising the Lord for this new little life and for the response of your kiddos to the news!

TeamOehlkers said...

Yahoo!!! What exciting news!!! God is so good, Jerusha...

(((hugs))),
chris

themorellis said...

Wow! So happy for you all! That is very exciting! I'm thrilled, and secretly jealous. I'd have a 5th one in a heartbeat. :) We're rejoicing with you in your news! God is so good and faithful and will continue to be in everything!

Christina said...

Congratulations!!!! I was on vacation when you made this announcement.

My belief is that God gives children in HIS plans and purposes.

You can't get pregnant nor adopt without HIS blessing.

Congratulations again!!